Jake C. Weaver, Partner
Jake Weaver’s practice encompasses all aspects of general and complex civil litigation. Jake began his career at Sacramento’s largest law firm, Downey Brand LLP, gaining experience in all types of litigation and building a reputation based on work ethic and integrity. Jake’s experience allows him to utilize an informed and practical approach to the practice of law to successfully develop both legal and non-legal solutions in a cost-effective manner for his clients.
In the construction field, Jake represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, and sureties in both public and private projects. He has extensive experience with construction payment remedies, including mechanic’s liens, stop payment notice claims, payment bond claims, and prompt payment penalties. Additionally, Jake has litigated numerous contractor disruption claims, including claims for extra work, acceleration, and delay.
Jake also regularly represents contractors in public project bid disputes due to his in-depth knowledge of the California public bidding laws. Jake’s experience ranges from small local projects to representing a general contractor in a bid dispute on a public project in excess of $400 million.
In addition, Jake’s practice includes contract review and drafting for all stages of the construction process. Jake also assists his clients with negotiating change orders and substantiating claims for extra work before a dispute arises.
Based on Jake’s construction experience and success, he was selected to Super Lawyers’ Northern California Rising Stars list for construction litigation in consecutive years for 2018 and 2019. Only 2.5% of attorneys in Northern California receive this distinction each year.
On the real estate side, Jake handles a broad spectrum of real estate related litigation, including commercial lease disputes, partition actions, easements, boundary disputes, and title disputes.
Jake is also experienced in real estate transactional matters, including lease review and drafting, lease assignments, lease guarantees, and the purchase and sale of real property.
In addition to his construction and real estate practice, Jake is well versed in litigating claims for breach of contract, business interference, shareholder disputes, fraudulent transfers, unfair business practices, and many other business disputes.
- Construction Litigation
- Real Property Litigation
- General Business Litigation
- Complex Business Litigation
- Construction Law
- Real Estate Law
- California, 2014
- J.D., with great distinction, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Order of the Coif, 2014
- B.S., Business Administration, California State University, Sacramento, 2010
- President and Board Member, RECON Nexus, Capital Region Chapter
- Member, Placer County Bar Association
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of California
- Board Member and Media Chair, Barristers’ Club of Sacramento
- Former Membership Chair, Federal Bar Association, Sacramento Chapter
- Mock Trial Coach, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 2014-2017
- Former Member, Anthony M. Kennedy American Inn of Court
- Super Lawyers, Northern California Rising Star, Construction Litigation, 2018, 2019
- Sacramento Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2017, 2018
- Sacramento Magazine, Top Lawyer, Construction, Construction Litigation, General Litigation 2016, 2017, 2018
- Order of the Coif, 2014
- Order of the Barristers, 2014
- Judicial Extern, Chief Judge Morrison C. England, Jr., United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, 2013
- Best Advocate and Finalist, Tenth Annual Buffalo-Niagara Invitational Trial Tournament, 2013
- Best Cross Examination, McGeorge, Southern Illinois, and Golden Gate Challenge, 2013
- Top Advocate, Ben Frantz Trial Competition, 2012